I have always loved cereal even though the ones that stocked my mom’s pantry shelves were of the healthy and ‘boring’ variety. We primarily ate Cheerios (the plain ones), Raisin Bran (be still, my heart), and Mini-Wheats (actually, these were my favourite because they were half covered in frosting). Every Easter, my brother and I were each treated to a box of Froot Loops or Lucky Charms, along with our favourite chocolates of course, and needless to say they didn’t last long.
Cereal was my go-to snack for pretty much any time of day. I used to annoy my mom by opening three or more boxes at once ‘for variety,’ but she would complain that they took up too much pantry space. I desperately tried to make her see my way was best; I even pointed out Seinfeld kept a well-stocked shelf devoted entirely to cereal.
It didn’t work and I eventually begrudgingly gave in.
Since changing my diet, I’ve turned to gluten free cereals. They’re pricier than ‘normal’ ones, but that’s not going to stop me. In fact, mom, I have my own shelf space to contend with now — and I’m living the dream.
Here are my thoughts on a few gluten free cereals I recently purchased.
Erewhon Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice
- They look and taste like Rice Krispies, only with a subtle chocolaty twist
- They turn the milk into chocolate milk (this is a first for me)
- They get soggy really quickly
- Would I buy again? Probably not due to sogginess
Glutino Apple & Cinnamon Rings
- Not incredibly sugary, which isn’t a bad thing
- Subtle apple and cinnamon flavour with a bit of an after taste
- Retains crunchiness in milk
- Would I buy again? I think I’ll save my money and hunt around for a more potent apple and cinnamon gluten free cereal
- While I usually buy deliciously sweet Honey Chex, I decided to try the plain version for this post. Even after years of eating healthy, ‘boring’ cereal, this one was a bit too dull and flavourless for my liking
- Cereal stays somewhat crunchy in milk
- Would I buy again? Honey Chex yes, plain Chex no
Nature’s Path Sunrise Crunchy Vanilla
- Fun looking cereal made up of different flakes and textures
- Sweet vanilla flavour, but not so much so that you feel you are eating junky cereal
- Remains crunchy in milk
- Would I buy again? Definitely. This box is tops on my gluten free cereal shelf!