While I enjoy cooking more than I have before, I really try to avoid being in the kitchen every single day. That said, I regularly cook large portions of my meals so they last most of the week. This goes for both lunches and dinners, and I really don’t mind eating the same thing a few days in a row — not when they are this good, that is.
And so I introduce you to a favourite lunch idea in my household: bean and pepper medley in a crispy lettuce wrap. This can be made using a wok and stovetop or in your slow cooker.
What you’ll need
- 3 cans of Unico red kidney beans
- 1 can of Unico black beans
- ½ 796ml can of Unico Herb Spiced Diced Tomatoes
- 1 or 2 jalapenos
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 medium or large Vidalia onion
- ½ cup salsa
- Black ground pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 or 2 tbsp of olive oil
What you have to do
- Finely chop onion, bell peppers, and jalapenos and cook in olive oil until onion appears translucent
- Wash and drain the beans and then stir them into onions, peppers, and jalapenos
- Stir in diced tomatoes and ½ cup of salsa
- Add as much ground pepper as you like
- Add dash of paprika
- Add dash of salt
- Add red pepper flakes
- Cook on low to medium heat for about 30-40 mins. Remember to stir!
- *If cooking in slow cooker, set to low for about 2-3 hours
When everything’s done cooking, let it cool slightly and then spoon into washed Boston lettuce leaves. Wrap up and enjoy!
A couple things to note
- Drain excess tomato juice before spooning into lettuce wraps — or else it could get messy!
- Whenever I’ve tried different brands of beans, the dish would taste ‘off.’ I have no idea why this is, but now I just stick to Unico.